In May 2017 Mastercam will unveil the latest in the line of its machining software – Mastercam 2018. Scheduled for release in June 2017 Mastercam 2018 offers new 2D/3D milling features, design improvements, powerful turning and mill-turn enhancements, and so much more.
New 2D/3D milling features
Stock awareness has been added to select 2D toolpaths. The tool motion can now use the top, bottom, or both values of the stock, and all the linking parameters can be set to adapt to changing stock values. Finish passes now have more options to choose from. Now you can add or remove finish cuts, based on the number of rough depth cuts specified on the Depth Cuts page. The workflow for all 3D high-speed toolpaths has been streamlined and gives you fine control over exactly where to cut. You can also assign variable stock to leave values on its walls and floors.
Turning and mill-turn
Chip Break is now available for face and finish toolpaths when chip breaks occur. This is valuable when working with stringy materials such as aluminium or plastic, and allows you to set length and time conditions, retract, and dwell options. Mill-Turn machine definitions now contain tailstock and quill components. The new Tailstock Operation allows you to define how the machine’s tailstock is used. The tailstock options differ depending on the selected machine.
Angle Sweep improves the creation of more complex wireframe functions and when creating or editing primitives, there are now on-screen sweep and rotate controls which can snap to the AutoCursor positions of existing entities. To make Roll and Unroll results easier to predict, Seam Control lets you visually rotate a seam to see how geometry will respond, as well as snap to AutoCursor positions. Hole Axis makes it easier to work with a large number of holes, especially holes with matching diameters that are selected as a group.
Also available in the Mastercam 2018 release is:
• A new set of turning strategies that automate toolpath generation and support for Sandvik Coromant’s CoroTurn® Prime inserts and PrimeTurning™ method.
• My Mastercam gives you access to your profile, Mastercam’s social media outlets, your reseller information, the Mastercam Forum, and other helpful information.
• Streamlined workflow with improved plane management, level and geometry control, toolpath analysis and more.
• Model Prep and Solid Model enhancements such as Multiple Undo/Redo for up to twenty-five functions and Solid Sweep have more options and controls than ever.
• The Collision Control and the Multiaxis Link Safety Zone pages for Multi-axis toolpaths have been redesigned for Mastercam 2018.
• Common direction has been added to the Tool Axis Control page for Multi-axis toolpaths and keeps the tool at a uniform tilt angle to reduce tool and machine motion.
For more information contact the local agent Mecad Systems on TEL: 012 645 4300 or visit the website www.mecad.co.za